Guide to Camps for Parents
The following information is meant to anticipate and answer as many parent questions as possible prior to camp. If you have additional questions, please contact email@example.com.
Registration opens at 8 a.m. on each Monday of camp. You can reduce your camp registration time by adding money to your camper’s store account, uploading your camper’s photo into our system and notifying us of any special requests prior to the start of camp.
Campers must check-in with camp staff each morning when they enter the Siegel Center concourse, before heading down to the court to play or join attendance lines. Doors open at 8:30 am.
For your drop-off and pick-up convenience, camp families may park in the Bowe Street Deck (609 Bowe St.) just west of the Siegel Center between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. for free. On Friday, the afternoon is from 1-3 pm. Camp is covering the cost of parking during these hours.
If you would like to visit camp during other hours, parking is available for a fee in the West Broad Street Deck (1111 West Broad St.). The daily rate for the West Broad Street Deck is $10 (no in and out privileges). It has entrances on both Harrison and Shafer Streets.
There is also limited metered and restricted parking available on West Broad and Marshall Streets.
We compiled a checklist of a few things that might be helpful when you drop your camper off with us this summer.
What to bring:
- Tennis shoes
- Basketball shorts
- Water bottle (If needed – we will have water during lunch, access to water fountains, and water at the camp store)
- Lunch (if you have food allergies)
- A good attitude!
What not to bring:
- Cash (We suggest putting money in your child’s camp bank instead.)
- A lunch – Lunch will be provided every day. (Feel free to bring a lunch if you have food allergies)
- Cell phones or other devices (If your child does bring one, Coach Rhoades Basketball Camps is not responsible if the item gets lost or stolen.)
Lunch daily is included in the camp fee. (Vendors are subject to change)
- Apple Spice Junction sandwich, chips and apple – Monday
- Chick-Fil-A – Tuesday
- Baja Bean – Wednesday
- Lee’s Chicken – Thursday
- Papa John’s Pizza – Friday
Vegetarian options may be available. We can’t accommodate food allergies. You may pack a lunch to supplement our offerings if the menu doesn’t suit you. Please note that we are unable to refrigerate camper-supplied lunches. We are unable to offer discounts to campers who bring their own lunches, due to the already deeply discounted camp fee relative to comparable camps.
We will have athletic trainers on site throughout camp this summer to assist campers in the main and auxiliary gyms. Eddie Benion, VCU’s assistant athletic director for sports medicine, is the point person for all medical and health needs during the camp. If a child has a food allergy, parents should inform him, as well as specify what the allergy is on the camp’s online forms and provide medication to the camp. Benion or another athletic trainer will be seated near the registration desk on the first day of camp to collect medications and answer parent questions.
The Camp Store sells snacks, drinks and apparel and we urge campers to use the Camp Bank, a free service, to store their money instead of carrying cash, which can easily be lost while running up and down the court. Use of the Camp Bank also allows campers and parents to budget and monitor spending. Parents can view Camp Store transactions in real time via their parent accounts.
You can also download the Camp Mobile App to add funds on the go.
Money can be deposited to the camper’s account using cash, check or credit card. Camp bank balances under $5 will not be refunded.
The running, jumping and layup shooting your camper does at Coach Rhoades Basketball Camps may qualify for a childcare tax credit. Keep a copy of your payment receipt for tax purposes and when it comes time to file taxes, you should ask a tax professional for specific advice.
Subject to change
- 8:30 a.m.: Daily Check-In
- 9 a.m.: Roll call and stretching
- 9:20 a.m.: Drills and fundamentals
- 11 a.m.: Individual competitions
- Noon: Lunch
- 1 p.m.: Guest Speaker
- 1:30 p.m.: Contests and 3-on-3 and 1-on-1 competition
- 3:15 p.m.: 5-on-5 league play
- 5 p.m.: Announcements and dismissal, except on Friday when we dismiss at 3 p.m.
GYM RATS SCHEDULE (subject to change)
- 8:30 a.m.: Daily Check-In
- 9:00 a.m.: Roll call and stretching
- 9:10 a.m.: Drills and fundamentals including Passing Skills, Dribbling and Defense
- 11:15 a.m.: Dismissal
We have an app available for parents in the Apple store. Search for “CampTracker Coach Rhoades Basketball Camp.”
The PARENT APP and our website link, https://camptrack.it/rhoades/ will give you access to your parent account, which maintains a record of your camp transactions including camp sessions, camp bank deposits, withdrawals and camp updates from our team.